14 March 2011

nook: The Afterparty

I have owned my nook just about six months now. Let's look at some numbers.

In that time, I have read a total of 51 books. 12 of those (roughly 1/4) were eBooks read on the nook. Part of me look at that and thinks "Only 12? Pshaw!"[1] But then again, it was never my intention to go digital-only. Not to mention I've yet to do any significant traveling since I bought the nook.[2] So when you think about it, 1/4 is actually a pretty major shift in the way I read.

I've also been tracking how long it'll take me to "pay off" the purchase too:
Spent: $197.91 (nook, protective cover, reading light, $2.98 in digital-only content)
Saved: $136.83 (12 books)
Not there yet, but it's getting close. I've currently got 116 free books in my digital library that haven't been read yet (I check two sites pretty regularly to get new stuff). I'm sure I won't actually read all of those, but having options is good.

So what do these numbers teach me? I made a good decision. Having an eReader adds convenience and diversity to what I read. The up-front cost can seem a bit steep, but it can pay for itself without a lot of effort.

[1] In my defense, one of those books was over 800 pages long. It took awhile.
[2] Just road trips so far, and road trips are for audio books. The way this summer is shaping up, though, it'll be getting some significant usage soon.

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't purchased an e-reader cause I like the feel of real books. I know you're only reading 1/4 electronic-- but do you notice a difference in reading satisfaction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really haven't noticed any difference yet, but I'm also not reading anything on the eReader that I intend to keep either. I'm consciously using it more for fluff reading, and still buying books I think I'll want to keep. I also get satisfaction from having a personal library, and I definitely don't get that with the nook.

    ReplyDelete